As early as 1934, with donated books and volunteers, the Chipley Woman’s Club opened a public library in a small building at the corner of East Church Street and North 6th Street in Chipley. In 1939, the Club sponsored a dinner to raise matching funds for books. Since that time, the Library has had several locations in Washington County. In 1959, the Club took on the project of moving the Library to the upstairs of the Old City Hall to provide library service from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m., two days a week. In August 1963, the City of Chipley offered the Club the building at the corner of Highway 90 and Highway 77, “which was once the city’s powerhouse,” to be used as a library. The Library was staffed using money from the County’s contribution to a regional library system; it was opened in 1964. The regional library system also provided a bookmobile that stopped in Greenhead, Wausau, Vernon, Hinson Crossroads, New Hope, Ebro, and Caryville.
The Library outgrew this building and again the city and county cooperated to provide the recently vacated City Hall. The Library was moved to this location at the corner of 5th and Church Street in 1980. It remained at this location until the new building was built on Highway 90 next to the City Hall, in 2003. A library was built in Vernon in 1993 with the help of Representative Sam Mitchell. Wausau made space for its library in the City Hall. Mary Anne Pelletier started a Library and Learning Center station at County Oaks in 1996. A library station was opened in Sunny Hills in 2010.